Welcome

Welcome to my website!
Have you ever wondered why some critics review films? They don't even seem to like movies that much from what they write. I LOVE movies, and think about them long after the last credits roll across the screen. My reviews are meant to inform, entertain and never have a spoiler.
Enjoy my reviews and please comment and come back frequently! Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, January 20, 2018

I, Tonya

Child abuse, domestic violence, mental illness, personality disorder, and a gift. This is the subject matter of I, Tonya. I watched with fascination as the dysfunctional life of Tonya Harding unfolded on the big screen. Once upon a time I was a therapist, and I guess I still hold some sympathy for those poor souls who have a harder than usual time with life. Tonya Harding is perhaps best remembered for having some part in the infamous incident with Nancy Kerrigan who unfairly and cruelly was bashed in the knee before the Olympics by a then unknown perpetrator.

It is sad that Tonya (Margot Robbie) is not remembered as much for the brilliant and gifted figure skater she was, and instead for the incident that essentially ended her career. She grew up poor in Portland, Oregon, ice-skating her passion. Her mother LaVona Golden (Allison Janney) makes the mother in Lady Bird look like a good mom. Abusive and belittling to her daughter, it is no wonder Tonya grew up to be the punching bag for a no good man, Jeff Gillooly (Sebastian Stan), who would eventually become her husband.

What is even more unfortunate is Jeff’s choice of best friends, as he hangs with the seriously delusional, and mentally ill Shawn Eckhardt (Paul Walter Hauser). Shawn later puts into play the horrible assault on Nancy Kerrigan. (Nancy barely shows up in this film.)

What I liked about I, Tonya was the way it was put together, including interviews with the important players in Tonya’s life that were based on real life interviews. Allison Janney won a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy for her role as Tonya’s mother. Even though there are comedic moments because of how the film is put together, there are plenty of heart wrenching scenes, and other moments where you’ll physically flinch in your seat due to the abuse and the sad circumstances that Tonya grew up in. The poverty and being from the wrong side of the tracks didn’t give her a chance at the career in figure skating she should have been afforded. Her history remains that in 1991, she was the first woman to complete a triple axel in competition. This is very difficult, and she was apparently fearless out there on the ice.

The ending of I, Tonya was interesting in that it coincided with the media latching onto O. J. Simpson and his fleeing down an LA freeway in his Ford Bronco. Already the fickle public was turning their attention to the next big scandal, Tonya forgotten in the wings.

The film is rated R for pervasive language, violence, and some sexual content/nudity. I recommend it for you, particularly if you are interested in human psychology as I am. The skating scenes are really well filmed, and I wondered how they could do them. Margot Robbie certainly couldn’t do a triple axel like Tonya could, but it looks like she is actually jumping and skating like Tonya did.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sue - good review ... I've seen notes on the film and am aware of the 'circumstances' not all properly told in the papers and tv (no doubt) - but really didn't take much more notice. I don't want to see this film, but perhaps I should at some stage (you've encouraged me!) - in the future ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I'll be reviewing more Academy Award nominated films over the next few weeks.

      Delete