Welcome

Welcome to my website!
Have you ever wondered why some critics review films? They don't even seem to like movies that much from what they write. I LOVE movies, and think about them long after the last credits roll across the screen. My reviews are meant to inform, entertain and never have a spoiler.
Enjoy my reviews and please comment and come back frequently! Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Leap Year

With 2016 being a leap year, I decided to watch the romantic comedy Leap Year, partially for the plot, and partially because it stars actress Amy Adams. I have been a fan of hers since her performance in Catch Me If You Can, and decided if she was in the movie, it was worth a go. My other favorite films of hers are American Hustle, Julie and Julia, Sunshine Cleaning and Enchanted. Leap Year is rated PG for sensuality and language, and now ranks up there as another of my favorite Amy Adams movies.

Anna Brady (Amy Adams) stages homes for real estate agents. She is meticulous, cultured, sophisticated, everything her boyfriend Jeremy (Adam Scott), who is an up and coming cardiologist, would want in the woman in his life. Except for he hasn’t yet proposed and it’s been going on four years.

With a tale by her father (John Lithgow) inspiring her, she travels to Ireland to propose marriage to Jeremy on February 29th, leap day, a time when women can successfully propose marriage to the lucky man of their choice.

Every travel delay imaginable happens to poor Anna, and she ends up having to make a cross-country trip through Ireland in order to arrive in Dublin in time to propose to Jeremy on the 29th. She meets up with an innkeeper, Declan (Matthew Goode), and he agrees to get her to Dublin. A series of further misadventures occurs, mostly due to Anna being a total klutz. The two grate on each other because of their annoying idiosyncrasies, even while they attempt to ignore a growing attraction between them.

At one point, the two of them crash a wedding. My favorite quote from the film is spoken by the bride to her groom:  “May you never steal, lie, or cheat, but if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows, and if you must lie, lie with me all the nights of my life, and if you must cheat, then please cheat death because I couldn’t live a day without you.” It is moments like this that make the movie sing.

I know there were negative reviews about this film, and when my sister and I first began watching it, I had my doubts. If I can predict what’s going to happen next, that’s not a good sign for the movie. But that ability soon disappeared, and it turned out to be a sweet love story about how you sometimes find your way to your one true love when you’re not really looking for it. We both really liked it.

An added plus to the film was that the landscape the two travel through is simply breathtaking. They traverse the gorgeous countryside of Ireland, sometimes barren, mountainous, or filled with rushing water. In each case, it may make you want to have your plane diverted in order to travel by train or car across the Irish countryside.

Rent Leap Year if you're searching for a romantic comedy to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment