Welcome

Welcome to my website!
Have you ever wondered why some critics review films? They don't even seem to like movies that much from what they write. I LOVE movies, and think about them long after the last credits roll across the screen. My reviews are meant to inform, entertain and never have a spoiler.
Enjoy my reviews and please comment and come back frequently! Thanks for visiting!

Sunday, March 04, 2018

Predictions (or more accurately, wish list) of winners at the 90th Academy Awards

Inspired by a fellow blogger who posted his as well as his wife’s predictions, I could not resist making a few of my own. I am only going to share my thoughts on categories where I’ve seen at least three of the five nominated films (or two of the three nominated in one category). It was difficult to pick in some cases, kind of like choosing apples or oranges. But here are my preferences for the win.

Original Screenplay: Get Out

Jordan Peele wrote a tight, well-constructed screenplay melding social commentary within a horror genre, with just the right amount of humor thrown in now and then to lighten up the darkest moments.

Animated Feature: Loving Vincent

When an entire film is painted and then animated, well you can’t get better than that. And the story of the last days of Vincent Van Gogh was touching.

Production Design: Beauty and the Beast

For lavish and magical sets, this film wins hands down.

Makeup and Hairstyling: Darkest Hour

He looked like Churchill.

Film Editing: I, Tonya

That wasn’t really Margot Robbie doing those triple axels. But it sure looked like she was jumping and skating like Tonya.

Documentary Feature: Icarus

An interesting expose into the doping within sports, most notably Olympic athletes by the Russians, this is a well-done documentary that plays like a thriller.

Costume Design: Beauty and the Beast

Great costuming, and so many different styles of dress really helped tell the classic story.

Director: Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water

He made this monster movie that is so much more fit together perfectly.

Cinematography: The Shape of Water

Beautiful visuals, from the opening scene to the last.

Supporting Actress: Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

A nuanced performance of a demanding mother with heart not quite ready to let go.

Actress: Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water

The range of emotion she gives in this superior film is extraordinary. And without talking. Wow.

Picture: The Shape of Water

This is the one that will be remembered for years to come, and watched again and again.


Who do you want to win in your favorite category?

Enjoy the Awards show, and I’ll post again later in the week.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sue - I saw the van Gogh one recently ... it was stunning - so interesting and so well done ... we shall see what happens ... The one I didn't enjoy much was Lady Bird .. probably because I haven't got children ... but in a few hours we shall know! cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving Vincent was a really wonderful film. I liked Lady Bird, even though I don't have children either. I guess I liked Lady Bird's strong sense of individuality. Too bad neither of those films won at the Oscars!

      Delete
  2. Tom Blazier6:47 PM

    Being not a film critic, I do not pretend to know what makes for an Oscar-worthy film. Be that as it may, my choice for Best Film is The Post. Art should reflect the times, and given that we we are living in the most critical time in history, creative energy should not be wasted on mere entertainment. It troubles me to imagine a survivor in a post apocalyptic world looking to our time and wondering how the best creative moment — when change might have occurred — was a story of a romance between a woman and a swamp creature. Not to diminish this film, but given what's at stake, I think the the message of the film The Post is worth an Academy nod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Post was a really good film, and I hope it will be shown in high schools and colleges as part of an entertaining way to understand U.S. history, and the need for a free press. And I hope people streaming a film at home will choose to see The Post.

      The Shape of Water deserved to win in my opinion, because it touches on how to treat others who are not like us. It shows us what it means to be human, compassionate and accepting, whether someone is mute, gay, or a swamp creature. Extraordinary film.

      Delete