Welcome

Welcome to my website!
Have you ever wondered why some critics review films? They don't even seem to like movies that much from what they write. I LOVE movies, and think about them long after the last credits roll across the screen. My reviews are meant to inform, entertain and never have a spoiler.
Enjoy my reviews and please comment and come back frequently! Thanks for visiting!

Sunday, February 24, 2019

2019 Academy Awards Wish List (and predictions)

Today is the big day when the envelopes are opened and the winners declared. I watched 14 films whose titles appear in the list of nominations, as well as the Animated Short Films selected for competition. Here is my wish list/predictions:

Best Picture: Green Book. Wonderful film with a happy ending. I love happy endings.

Best Director: Spike Lee for BlacKkKlansman. He deserves his due and this was one of his best films ever.

Best Foreign Language Film: It will probably go to Roma, but I’d like it go to Cold War. Interestingly, both are in black and white cinematography. Cold War is an eloquent look at post WWII Europe in the lives of two entertainers. Although not a happy ending, it is an excellent film.

Best Animated Feature Film: The only one I saw was Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs. I love Wes Anderson films (The Grand Budapest Hotel; Moonrise Kingdom) and I loved Isle of Dogs.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Can You Ever Forgive Me? A true story about a writer, and the screenplay really worked.

Best Original Screenplay: First Reformed. Why not give it to seasoned screenwriter Paul Schrader, who deserves some recognition? It was a really thoughtful film, despite the rather strange ending.

Best Actress: Glenn Close in The Wife. She does a great job with this role, and the story had an ending I did not predict. Good movie.

Best Actor: Rami Malek in Bohemian Rhapsody. No one else could have played Freddy Mercury. No one.

Best Supporting Actress: Marina de Tavira in Roma. Her portrayal of a middle class wife of a physician with four kids was convincing and real.

Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali in Green Book. Sensitive, stellar performance. 

Best Original Song: When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings from The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. The song fit what was happening onscreen so completely. That’s what this category should be, not just a song thrown in at the beginning or ending of a film.

Best Production Design: Give it to Roma.

Best Cinematography: A tie between Cold War and Roma. Roma will probably get this one.

Best Costume Design: Black Panther. Why not? I won’t give anything to The Favourite, the next contender.

Best Sound Editing: A Quiet Place. A good horror film, necessitating skill in the contrast between silence and chaos.

Best Sound Mixing: I don’t know much about this category. I think Bohemian Rhapsody should win given the amounts of music in the film.

Best Animated Short Film:  I loved the little film called Bao, about a dumpling. Perfect little animated story.

Best Original ScoreIsle of Dogs. The music was just so perfect for the action.

Best Visual Effects:  Often this award goes to sci-fi films. Let’s break out of that pattern and give it to Christopher Robin. About Winnie the Pooh and his friends, these little stuffed animals never looked so real! Great work!

Best Film EditingBlacKkKlansman. The choices made going from one integral part of the story to another were just brilliant.

I’m hoping for my favorites to win. Roma is predicted to win almost everything, and Glenn Close for Best Actress. The rest are up for grabs. 

I’ll be tuning in this evening. Who would you like to take home the Oscar?

6 comments:

  1. We are having a major wind storm which took part of our roof off which sucks . I just am hoping our power doesn’t go out! I actually watched the animated shorts and I vote for Late Afternoon probably because I think of my mom. I am picking Margueritte for Live Action Short. Documentary Short I choose Lifeboat. I am also choosing RBG for best Documentary. I have not seen Roma yet but I watched A Star is Born and choose that song for Best but I choose Mary Poppins for best score because is it a true musical. I love Melissa McCarthy in Can you Ever Forgive me and hope she w8ns but I think Glenn Close will win. I chose BlacKkKlansman for best Adapted screenplay and Best Director. I really love that film and would be happy if it won best picture. I haven’t seen Greenbook yet either so we shall see. I hope Bohemian Rhapsody doesn’t win and hope Rami doesn’t win either but I think he will. I actually write about 10 questions I would love for people to respond to and love to know your responses for Tuesday. I took tomorrow off so I won’t have my post up until Later Tuesday but my questions are up about the Oscars. So looking forward to this eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were right about Best Original Song and Best Adapted Screenplay. I will answer your questions on your blog!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue - I hope you'll do an update with what has happened ... I can't be bothered to see!! But I'd like to know ... thank you in advance ... pretty please!!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'll do an update later today!

      Delete
  3. I’m impressed by how many you got right - well done! Please, a follow-up post when you’ve seen th4 lot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post reviews of the films I've seen as I get them written. I ran out of time to get all of them written and posted before the awards. Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete