Welcome

Welcome to my website!
Have you ever wondered why some critics review films? They don't even seem to like movies that much from what they write. I LOVE movies, and think about them long after the last credits roll across the screen. My reviews are meant to inform, entertain and never have a spoiler.
Enjoy my reviews and please comment and come back frequently! Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Period. End of Sentence.

I was delighted to discover that the Academy Award winning film for Best Documentary Short is currently on streaming Netflix! Period. End of Sentence.

I had not seen the nominated films in this category, so eagerly watched this excellent short film that is just 26 minutes long. The film was made in India, and the Hindi language is dubbed in English, so the dialogue is easy to follow.

In a rural village just outside of Delhi, India, young girls found it difficult to stay in school due to no easy access to sanitary napkins to use during menstruation. Many would drop out of academics completely. With the help of The Pad Project the women in this village began manufacturing and selling safe, hygienic pads. As I was watching this inspiring film, I realized how privileged I’ve been to live in a country where feminine hygiene products are available virtually everywhere, in sharp contrast to the lives of females in underdeveloped countries who have to resort to old clothing and rags during that time of the month. The income made by manufacturing these pads makes a big difference in the female workers' lives, and the easier access to feminine hygiene products brings more choices for the young women who purchase them.

I encourage everyone to watch this film, especially if you are a woman. It is wonderful to see that there is such an initiative because we know that the education of women makes the difference between a life of few choices, and one where opportunity abounds. 

Period. End of Sentence. Watch the film and come back and tell me what you thought of it. Were you inspired to take any action?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sue - I watched the trailer, sadly as I don't have Netflix I'm unable to see the film ... but am sure I will. I will definitely donate ... but what an interesting approach to take. We are as you say so lucky ... thanks for this - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy to let you know about the film and project. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I watched it on YouTube the day before the Oscars and I could not find one that had subtitles so I just watched it and still got the gist. It’s something no one talks about yet it is something we all deal with as women. I loved the machine that created the pads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole process was fascinating. I'm glad the film won the award.

      Delete