Welcome

Welcome to my website!
Have you ever wondered why some critics review films? They don't even seem to like movies that much from what they write. I LOVE movies, and think about them long after the last credits roll across the screen. My reviews are meant to inform, entertain and never have a spoiler.
Enjoy my reviews and please comment and come back frequently! Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

A Quiet Place

Husband/wife duo John Krasinski and Emily Blunt star in this well done horror film. What if you couldn’t make a sound lest a horrible monster attack and kill you? A Quiet Place is all about this question. It is a post-apocalyptic film where much of the world has been exterminated by barely seen monsters. The film is rated PG-13 for terror and some bloody images.

Evelyn (Emily Blunt) and Lee Abbott (John Krasinski) have three children, and you can imagine how keeping three children quiet would be a seemingly insurmountable task. They have adapted though, and have managed to make a life for themselves in the basement of their home. They do occasionally have to venture out to retrieve supplies. Lee is experimenting with hearing aids, something I did not pick up on until later in the film. My husband said to me that the oldest girl Regan (Millicent Simmonds) is hearing impaired. That must be why they can all use sign language! (Millicent Simmonds is in fact a hearing impaired actress.)

As often happens to a woman in a relationship, Evelyn becomes pregnant. In the trailer I saw a scene of her giving birth in a bathtub. Whoever heard of a woman quietly giving birth? Lots of tension during those scenes, and throughout the whole film. 

I don’t want to give too much away, but their lives depend on finding the weakness of the monsters. What will be the bloodthirsty creatures’ Achilles heel? The film was nominated for one Academy Award: Best Achievement in Sound Editing. I watched A Quiet Place in the silence of my own home and was glad I did not see it in a noisy theater. It is now one of my favorite horror films.

Did you see A Quiet Place? Did you like the film? What is your favorite horror film?

2 comments:

  1. I have not seen this film and not sure I want to because it sounds very scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not unbearably scary, and actually there was very little bloodshed.

      Delete