Welcome

Welcome to my website!
Have you ever wondered why some critics review films? They don't even seem to like movies that much from what they write. I LOVE movies, and think about them long after the last credits roll across the screen. My reviews are meant to inform, entertain and never have a spoiler.
Enjoy my reviews and please comment and come back frequently! Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, September 03, 2019

El Camino


I will be walking the Camino de Santiago in Spain beginning next week, and so I was searching on my streaming channels for any documentaries or movies about the experience. I came across the film El Camino, and even though it is not about the famous trek across northern Spain, it is about a path of sorts. The film was released in 2008, and is not rated. (El Camino is not to be confused with the upcoming film inspired by Breaking Bad which, unfortunately, bears the same name.)

When Matthew (Richard Gallagher) passes away, three of his friends come together at the memorial services hosted by Matthew’s family. Having known Matthew in different periods of his life, they don’t seem to have much in common. Elliot (Leo Fitzpatrick) was a childhood friend while the two boys were in foster care, Lily (Elisabeth Moss) a former girlfriend, and Gray (Christopher Denham), another friend made along the pathways of life.

Gray decides to take some of Matthew’s ashes to Mexico’s coast to scatter across the ocean waves, and Lily and Elliot join him. The trio takes off in a station wagon with Elliot mostly footing the bill for this road trip. As the journey continues, they learn about each other, the type of relationship each had with Matthew and come to a tentative respect for one another.

I enjoyed the film even though it wasn’t what I had been looking for. I think sometimes friends know each other better than family members.  When someone grows and changes, it can leave family behind. The people who know us best then are the friends we’ve formed relationships with along the way. This is no less true of this trio and their friend who has left too soon.

Have you seen this film or one like it? El Camino is an independent film. The trailer will give you an idea of the characters’ journey in the film.

Signing off then, until I return from my personal Camino. As always, thanks for reading and commenting.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Suzanne - sounds amazing ... just enjoy - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate your loyalty to my blog, and your encouragement. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete