Welcome

Welcome to my website!
Have you ever wondered why some critics review films? They don't even seem to like movies that much from what they write. I LOVE movies, and think about them long after the last credits roll across the screen. My reviews are meant to inform, entertain and never have a spoiler.
Enjoy my reviews and please comment and come back frequently! Thanks for visiting!

Sunday, July 03, 2005

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Back in the 1980's, I read a trilogy written by Douglas Adams: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 25th Anniversary Edition
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
. I remember it as a very funny series of books, right up there with the writings of Tom Robbins and Rob Brezsny.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a British film and the distinctive brand of British humor shines. The film begins with dolphins (the most intelligent species on earth) attempting to tell humans that the world is coming to an end. The earth is being demolished in the same way houses are torn down to make way for freeways in the name of progress. The character Arthur Dent is saved by his best friend who turns out to be an alien (played by Mos Def). They hitch a ride on a passing spacecraft, and thus begins the adventure for which the Guide is necessary.

The space creatures are grotesque, but in more of an amusing way than anything scary. The animated Guide illustrates what you need in space (a towel for one thing). The whole film is very funny, and the ending sweet and sentimental. It all works and I don't want to give away what happens. Just believe me when I say rent it; you won't be disappointed if you want a good laugh. I saw it at my local dollar theater, but it will probably be available to rent soon.

"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"

No comments:

Post a Comment