Welcome

Welcome to my website!
Have you ever wondered why some critics review films? They don't even seem to like movies that much from what they write. I LOVE movies, and think about them long after the last credits roll across the screen. My reviews are meant to inform, entertain and never have a spoiler.
Enjoy my reviews and please comment and come back frequently! Thanks for visiting!

Friday, July 01, 2005

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Just the other day, right here on earth, I watched the sixth film in the Star Wars saga. Can it really be nearly 30 years ago I was swept into the world of Jedi warriors, Wookies, light sabers, and Darth Vader?

I am now satisfied. I know how Darth Vader came to be who he is. If you haven't seen the other five Star Wars movies, a good way to see them would be to go to Netflix.com, a service over the Internet where you can select DVDs you'd like to see, get them mailed to you, keep them for as long as you'd like, then return them in a postage paid envelope, and the next selection is on its way into your mailbox (thanks for asking about this, Marianne!) All at a reasonable price. No wasting gas driving to the video store yet again.

If you haven't been following the Star Wars tales, this installment is not the place to start. It is darker than all the other films. There are heroes on both sides, and evil is everywhere. Kind of like our world.

We see Anakin succumb to his fears and desire for power. Whereas in the previous films, George Lucas has his characters acquiring wisdom and using it (trust your feelings), this time we see someone utterly fail. It's a cautionary tale about the dark side.

Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith completed the story for me, and I liked it for that, but on another level, I didn't like it. The film had way too many stark, industrial landscapes, if you can even call it a landscape. The earth that is supposedly sustaining these humans and other creatures is nowhere to be seen. They must eat sometime, but we never see anything growing.

The outrageous creatures have grown tiresome as well. The world Lucas has created here is definitely a male world, none of the fecundity of nature anywhere. I am weary of battle scenes. Men, males of different species, fighting other males: Boring. Chases whether in spacecraft or in cars: boring. At least the light saber fights are more interesting than gunfights, as well as more honorable.

If you have been a faithful fan of Star Wars, you will be glad to see the final installment of the saga, as was I. But now I'm ready to see other genres of movies. I'm hoping we can get back to earth in the movies because there's a lot to be said about life down here.

I welcome comments about this or any film. And may the Force be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment